A National Training Centre Program conducted by the Tasmanian Institute of Sport in partnership with Hockey Australia and Hockey Tasmania.
The Head Coach and Hockey Coach are located at the Tasmanian Hockey Centre, Cornelian Bay, Hobart.
To identify and develop Tasmanian hockey players to national team standard.
The program provides the following components:
- individual, small group and group coaching assistance to scholarship holders
- access to strength and conditioning, sports science and athlete career and education services
- funding assistance to attend national and international competition experiences
- continued individual feedback through the use of Sports Code and other forms of technological feedback.
Selection in the TIS Hockey Program is in large achieved by:
- selection in national team or national squad
- strong performance at national championships
January 1 to December 31 each year.
Scholarship period and standards are set on performances throughout the year at national tournaments by the TIS head coach. Players are assessed continually on performances, and potential to succeed at international level.
New Scholarship Assessments:
Following major national tournaments potential new scholarships will be considered.
Performance indicators include:
- AHL Nationals
- U21 Men and Women’s Nationals
- U18 Men and Women’s Nationals
- U15 Men and Women’s Nationals
HT/TIS Emerging Talent Squad (ETS) provides extra coaching and services for identified athletes to help them progress into the TIS scholarship program.
The ETS is essentially a filter squad. It provides a development path for young athletes who have demonstrated a potential to make the necessary improvements to qualify them eventually for TIS membership. Athletes will be reviewed on a 12 monthly basis.
Selection is based on performances in national championship competition. The ETS is open to male and female athletes.
For more information on the ETS, see below: